Strong passwords.... Or not

I absolutely hate password "strength" plugins - they're almost always terrible. I use a password manager so all my passwords are generated according to the rules of the website I'm on to be as strong as the site will allow (within reason).

So I was on NPower trying to register, it told me up to 20 chars, mixed case and at least one number. I got my password manager to generate me a 20 character mixed case password with numbers. I forgot to tick the box for special characters.

The results for strength of password were alarming: 

So 20 random chars is the same strength as "Orange1"? Add a space to the end (or any special character) and it's suddenly stronger?

Who writes these things anyway? Validating the strength of a password is really bloody hard and it's not going to be done well by 15 lines of JavaScript in a browser. I wish we could all agree to leave those heaps of shit behind us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trimming strings in action parameters in ASP.Net Web API

Full text search in Entity Framework 6 using command interception

Composing Expressions in C#